As we begin 2012, you have probably already started your list of New Year’s resolutions. If you are like most people, this list probably includes: go to the gym, lose weight, take tango lessons, call your mother more often, find the cure for cancer, etc… But let’s face it – EVERYONE has those resolutions, and they are all usually broken by January 10th.
So let’s shake it up a little this year and try some “Dental Resolutions” which are not only easy to keep but can lead to a lifetime of excellent health.
- CHANGE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH – Most people hang on to their toothbrushes as if they have long-standing sentimental value. The fact is – you should replace your brush every two months or so. If the bristles don’t look almost brand new, chances are your teeth aren’t being cleaned well and your toothbrush is harboring lots of yucky bacteria.
- FLOSS EVERY DAY – Look, we’re dental professionals. We know that most people don’t floss. But that really is a shame. Flossing every day helps to prevent gum disease – so not only can you keep your teeth for a lifetime, your chances of heart disease and other illnesses which are linked to unhealthy gums will significantly decrease. If you have trouble flossing or are not sure how to do it, don’t be embarrassed! Our fantastic team will be glad to show you how.
- WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT – We all know that seat belts save lives, but even in a minor accident teeth can be shattered or damaged if your body is flung forward. So buckle up and save your smile!
- USE A MOUTH GUARD – Dental damage from sports is extremely common and just about always preventable. There’s a reason everyone in the NFL wears a mouth guard – and it’s not to scare their opponents. Give us a call and we will fit you (and the entire tiddly winks team) with beautiful custom mouth guards.
- GET RID OF SODAS AND SPORTS DRINKS – We all need to hydrate, but we don’t need excess sugar and artificial chemicals. These drinks are bad for your body and an all out assault on your pearly-whites. Switching to water will not only be a big boost to your overall health, it will save you money as well!
- TEETH ARE FOR CHEWING, BITING, AND SMILING – Please don’t use your teeth to open bottles, packages, or anything else.
- SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYE TEETH – As if cancer, heart disease, emphysema, pregnancy issues and a host of chronic illnesses aren’t reason enough to stop smoking, please be aware that this nasty habit stains your teeth, increases the risk of gum disease, and makes your breath smell like the monkey cage at the zoo. There are so many reasons to quit smoking – so please make this the year!
- BUT THEY’RE GOOD FOR YOU! – The battle cry of mothers all over the world is true for your oral health as well. Yes – eating your veggies, fruits, legumes and nuts not only increases your overall health, it boosts your immunity which is great for your teeth and gums. Added benefit: crisp fruits and raw vegetables like apples, carrots and celery help clean plaque from teeth and freshen breath.
- WHITEN YOUR SMILE – There is no question that a nice white smile increases your confidence and makes you more attractive to others. If you’ve been putting this off – make 2012 the year you finally will be showing your beautiful smile to the world. There are so many easy and inexpensive ways to make your smile the best that it can be – give us a call or stop on in and we will be glad to show you how.
- DON’T PUT OFF YOUR DENTAL VISITS – We know that visiting our office may not be at the top of your “things to do” list for the New Year, but by seeing us on a regular basis you can prevent huge (and expensive) dental problems from ever occurring. It’s a small investment with a big payoff – a better smile, increased overall health, beautiful teeth and gums for life, fresh clean breath, and so much more. Please give us a call at 661-824-4035 today and get 2012 off to a great start!